Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"oh, God, Pride of Man—Broken in the Dust again!"

Thanks to Quicksilver Messenger Service for that line. 'Course they were singing about nuclear conflagration, not about getting caught with your willie in the wrong place.
But I imagine it feels a little like nuclear war in the Spitzer household about now.

What is it about power that makes men so stupid? Especially when they bank their careers on fighting crime and immorality like Spitzer did.
Seems like Big Eliot was letting Little Eliot do his thinking for him.
Dr. Laura blamed the wife. (Does Dr. Laura have a license? Why hasn't it been taken away from her?) Sure doc. I can see it now:
(Scene: the Spitzer household)
Eliot: C'mon baby, how about it?
Silda: "Naw, I got a headache. Why don't you go out and find a whore?"
Sounds reasonable.
I guess he thought that when you pay upwards of 4 grand to have sex that you're not really exploiting anyone. I suppose it's possible that the woman enjoyed her work, wasn't coerced in any way, but it was still illegal and he is (hopefully soon, was) a governor. Besides, turning a blind eye to the happy 4 thou hookers just makes it easier to ignore the very unhappy and basically enslaved $40 hookers.
I feel sorriest for the daughters. He could have thought of them and the trust they have in him. Had in him.

Aargh. Just when you think it can't get any worse—by which I mean more stupid—there it goes.

In the meantime, both Hillary and Obama are showing some strain. Hillary is making noises about the big O being her VP. Uh huh.
"Say, Barack, now that you have more delegates than me, how about announcing you'd like to be my Vice-President? "
"Why, that's a damn good idea Hillary, thanks for asking."
It would be a gender-inclusive Mutt and Jeff team.

They are both cutting each other down and claiming a broader electorate, Meanwhile Johnny Mac is sitting by with his nomination wrapped up and enjoying the show. I'm having nightmares about Bush Redux being in the Whitehouse.

It's getting into mud season, even tho there's lots of snow up here in the hills. The ground is doing it's seasonal stretching and shifting about, with the result that the roads are falling apart again. Didn't the Roman roads last for hundreds of years? They must not have frost heaves in Italy. I read that they use old tires to make the blacktop we make roads out of. Seems to me if they used enough rubber the roads would just stretch with the frost heaves and we'd all be happier. No ruined tires, no waiting on road repair all summer long.

Maybe with more rubber in the road surface we'd get a little extra bounce in our drive, save some gas. If this idea takes off, you heard it here first. I'll need witnesses when I file my intellectual-property theft suit.

I've been busy and not posting for a week. God, it feels good to complain again!
T-t-t-that's all folks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a resident of New York State and we live in the city of Troy, just 10 miles north of our state capital of Albany and I work adjacent to the capitol building. This entire scandal has been shocking and indescribably disappointing. I was one of the many fervent supporters of Mr. Spitzer and I felt he would invigorate the stale political atmosphere in Albany by bringing such fresh and new blood. He seemed aggressive and extremely smart. I thought his election was one of the best things to happen to this state in many, many years. This has got to be one of the most horrific falls from grace that I have seen. Are there any politician's out there who aren't disgusting hypocrites? Its not even so much what he did - that is between Mr. Spitzer and his family (and his conscience). It is because he railed against and fought against the very things he is so miserably guilty of. I am sick in my heart over this. He had such shining promise.

Ken said...

Dr. Laura says that ***IF*** you choose a good man ***AND*** you treat him right, he will not stray. Nowhere does she excuse men for their decisions to commit adultery. However, she recognizes that if a wife isn't living by her marital vows (which are more than just "forsaking all others"), THEN a man is more likely not to live by his, either.

But if you want to believe that women have no power in their relationships, or no ability to a choose a decent man, then go ahead. It is easier to bash Dr. Laura than admit that some wives may not be treating their husbands right, or may have chosen a malignant narcissist for a husband.

I do think cheating is wrong and should not be excused. But if the refrigerator is empty, a lot of men are going to hit the drive-thru.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I'm not so sure where the Dr. Laura stuff comes from but it DOES sound like a Tammy Wynette song. I don't think anything has been said about Silda Spitzer not keeping the refrigerator stocked. Sounds like an excuse for Mr. Spitzer.

Anonymous said...

I doubt the good 'Dr.' Laura even has a license. Good thing I just had lunch. All this talk about keeping the refrigerator well-stocked might have made me hungry.

curmudgeon said...

How about the good man treating his wife right? That "if you choose a good man etc" stuff is just a bunch of horsefeathers. It just means the wife has to put up with a lot more and be more understanding than the hubby.
No talk here of the husband's responsibilities. He may have been falling short on the snack food supply also.

Anonymous said...

Agreed!